Heart1.com: Great Information, Real Community, Better Living.
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Heart News
Feature Story
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
Diagnostics
 Heart Attack Center
Prevention
Survivors
Dr. Tod Engelhardt  Heart
 Hero™

Dr. Tod Engelhardt:
Combating Major Blood Clots.
About Heroes
 Join the Discussion  in  Our Forums
 Community
Heart1 Forums
Patient Stories
 Reference
Online Resources
Video Library
advertisement
Search the Body1 Network
October 15, 2019  
FORUMS: Read-Only

>
Topic Title: GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease)
Created On: 12/17/2003 08:20 PM

02/15/2005 09:15 AM

Author Icon
Dianalynx

Thanks for your input. I will go online after this and see what I can find (LIMU). I spent long hours yesterday researching the symptoms my husband has and came up with another possibility. The pain he is experiencing is mid body, just above the stomach. I discovered there is a possibility he has a gallbladder problem. This could be causing the GERD. My brother suffered from GERD for years and this past winter had his gallbaldder removed. ( The doctor for years had him on meds that did not help much).So we have started on a gallbladder flush. I am doing it too, can't hurt! He slept like a baby last night, for the first time in months. If you want more info on this just ask. I will keep you informed as to our progress. You know the doctors treat symptoms, but they often miss the cause! Good luck to you and thanks again.
 02/14/2005 03:15 PM

Author Icon
rudanna

Maybe I can be of some help. This whole last year I have fought reflux, first both night and day, then days got okay by taking enzymes and watching what I ate, but nothing seemed to help nighttime. I have had to sleep sitting up in a chair (slightly reclined). I have tried to keep my elimination going good which helped. Also I have taken lots of pro biotics and enzymes. I got some better but nights were pretty bad. Then some lady I met mentioned she had once had reflux and started using something called LIMU and it cured her. so I bought some and have been taking it for about two months. Most of my symptoms have disappeared except for nighttime belching. I can sleep in my bed now and seem to improve a tiny bit every day. You might look for a dealer who sells Limu and give it a try, I think it has been a gret help to me, and I have heard of two other people who say it cured them. The bad think is a bottle of it costs $40.00, but it still is cheaper than the trips to the doctor. Feel free to ask me anything and if I can help I will be glad to cause I know too well how devastating this can be. I thought I was going to die, and at night it felt like I was having a heart attack --- EVERY NITE!!, so perhaps the Nimu could help. Good luck!
 02/14/2005 10:15 AM

Author Icon
Dianalynx

My husband has recently been diagnosed with GERD and has been placed on a medicine called protonix. His symptoms subsided for a while and now are back with a vengeance.We have both been up all night for several nights with increased symptoms. I would like ant help or information from anyone who has similar experiences. We are early on the path and are on a huge learning curve.
 12/29/2004 06:13 PM

Author Icon
rudanna

I just put this info in another posting here, but would tell you that I am 80 years old and have had reflux and had to sleep in a chair to make it. Nothing seemed to work until I read somewhere that older people do not make enough stomach acid and food does not digest properly. So I bought a bottle of HCL Pepsin and take it daily, and now I am about well. Hope this may be your answer. Rudanna
 12/29/2004 06:09 PM

Author Icon
rudanna

I have also been having indigestion mainly at night, and have had to sleep sitting in a chair. I was put on pump inhibitors and lots of other advice, but not much help. Then I read that older people quit producing the hydro chloric acid they need for digestion, and this causes food not to digest properly. So, I tried taking HCL pepsin tablets, and VOILA, I feel great. This sounds crazy, but it worked for me, tho I still am holding my breath lest it return. Rudanna
 12/14/2004 05:02 PM

Author Icon
baker3113

Has anyone suffered with burning in the throat after being diagnosed with acid reflux . A meal I had over 2 months ago sent me to the doctor with indigestion and burning (only) in my throat . i dont smoke, am not overweight and have been on a bland diet . Nothing helps. I've been taking 2 protonix each day for 1 month and was also given Carafate. Can anyone please offer advice to get me feeling well again Please help. Thanks
 11/06/2004 09:01 AM

Author Icon
teacher3612

I have severe chest pain and for a while had numbness in left hand. EKG and stress tests in ER show no heart problem. Possible GERD suggested, told to take Protonix. Pain wakes me up and makes me feel very tired. Some shortness of breath especially walking up stairs, etc. Are these symptoms typical of GERD? Any treatment suggestions?
 10/03/2004 02:40 PM

Author Icon
luvlola

any information on gerd and fractured ribs seen on infants
 09/01/2004 03:56 PM

Author Icon
slrogers

I really think my GERD developed when I took Celebrex for a few months. I took Celebrex for 3-6 months (I can't remember) in 1999 and suddenly GERD started. I avoid everything but Tylenol if I can. I take Advil only with food. My reflux has gotten worse lately however, I am not very diet compliant.
 06/19/2004 12:55 PM

Author Icon
canthony

Protonix did not work for me. I am on Nexium. Has your dr. considered switching to one of the other popularly prescribed 4 PPI's... Prevacid, Aciphex or Nexium? They all have different affects for different people. I assume you also watch what you are eating, so is the primary symptom heartburn or stomach pain? now that you are discontinuing?

Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2019 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.