< REFRESH >
Topic Title: wound cleansing
Created On: 03/19/2005 11:31 AM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

07/19/2011 01:30 PM

Author Icon
ppatel24

Proper wound cleansing can prevent infections. The following procedure should be done to enforce infection protection.

1. Clean the wound and surrounding area with mild soap and rinse with water. Dry it with guauze pads.
2. Treat the wound with antibiotic ointment.
3. Protect the wound by covering it with a gauze pad.

A covered wound heals more efficiently, decreases the chances of scarring, has less chance of infection, and is protected. On the other hand, an uncovered would dries out and forms a scab, has a greater chance of scarring, and has a greater chance of re-injury.
    REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 06/25/2006 08:21 PM

Author Icon
patricia10

When my children were young and any wounds received form falls, I never tired to clean wound of any dirt in the tissue. I used Resionl, a salve on a gause pad. By next day when pad was removed, the wound was clean and all debris was on the pad. I would put a new one on and wound would heal from the inside out..no scar....Happy kids...
 04/04/2005 04:16 PM

Author Icon
mistypt

In general, wound cleansing with an irrigation solution (your method) is done to decrease bacterial counts in the tissues without causing damage to healthy granulation tissue. Using a saline moistened gauze to blot (or even rub) cellular debris off the wound surface would do exactly that - decrease surface contaminants. Those are not the bacteria that are causing problems in the wound. Bacteria that are present IN THE TISSUES are the ones with which we need to be concerned. The alternative methods you describe will clean the wound surface, but have not been shown to decrease contamination within the tissues.
 03/19/2005 11:31 AM

Author Icon
lottapups

I am an RN working in the homecare environment. We see many patients with the usual gambit of wounds and in researching wound care I've come across much info regarding wound identification, prevention, treatment, etc., but I'm coming up short in information regarding cleansing wounds. I've read in the past that when performing daily wound dressing changes the best procedure for cleansing a wound is to use an 18 gage blunt catheter to irrigate with normal saline. Is this still the best plan of care, or have we moved on to other ways of cleansing a wound. I have seen other nurses using a NS soaked gauze pad and wiping the wound to remove slough. Is this acceptable practice? Thank you for any info you can supply.

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Heart News
Feature Story
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
Diagnostics
 Heart Attack Center
Prevention
Survivors
Dr. Tod Engelhardt  Heart
 Hero™

Dr. Tod Engelhardt:
Combating Major Blood Clots.
About Heroes
 Community
Heart1 Forums
Patient Stories
 Reference
Online Resources
Video Library
advertisement
Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2019 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.

test